Friday, July 1, 2011

Quis non amantem redamet?

"Behold the Heart that has so loved man" – said Our Lord to St Margaret Mary: but, O reproach! how little has Jesus been loved in return.  At Mass this morning Fr Kene reminded us of the duty of reparation to the Sacred Heart, so loving, so outraged and offended, still despised and rejected, the Victim Who offers us salvation, and yet is met with such scoffing and ingratitude, even on the part of those who profess to love Him.  I tremble to reflect on how little I really love God.

Let us praise and worship the Lord, mindful that "The dead shall not praise thee, O Lord: nor any of them that go down to hell" – that is, those who are dead in sin and, it is feared, if they not be converted and made truly alive, they shall die the second death, never to see the light any more – "But we that live" (that is, are in grace) "bless the Lord: from this time now and for ever".  As Tertullian (himself later lost!) wrote, Let us begin that office of thanksgiving now that we hope may be our occupation for all eternity.  At least I am moved to praise God in His psalms, which I beg may be some token of efficacious grace at work:


R/. br. Septies in die laudem dixi tibi. * Alleluja, alleluja. R/. Septies.
V/. Vivet anima mea, et laudabit te. * Alleluja, alleluja.
Gloria Patri, et Filio, et Spiritui Sancto. R/. Septies.
—Ps 118:164a, 175a
(Seven times a day I have given praise to Thee. * Alleluia, alleluia.
(Seven times a day I have given praise to Thee. * Alleluia, alleluia.
(My soul shall live and shall praise Thee. * Alleluia, alleluia.
(Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost.
(Seven times a day I have given praise to Thee. * Alleluia, alleluia.)

Sacred Heart of Jesus, I implore, that I may ever love Thee more and more.

No comments: