Sunday, October 2, 2011

Hobart Latin Mass

Down to Hobart and back, for our State's monthly Missa cantata (there is, I am informed, an SSPX Low Mass at Sassafras on the way to Devonport, also held on the first Sunday of the month): a good trip, a very quick run through in fact, with scarcely any traffic on the road (but then again, to-day is both the day daylight saving has started, and also the day after the AFL Grand Final, so one suspects many had a sleep-in this morning), but I do feel tired from the driving, enjoyable though driving is.

I fear I am a very bad M.C.: I don't know all the rubrics well enough, and serving only once a month means that I don't get enough practice to learn from my mistakes.  Why, just to-day I had the priest read the Introit &c. before censing the altar, which was quite wrong!  Mea maxima culpa.

It would be good if more came to our little Mass: I think the congregation (exclusive of choir and servers) was only about thirty, with many familiar faces absent.  Of course, given the late hour of the service, and it being held but once a month, lower numbers than the ideal are no great surprise.  God will give the increase I suppose, and thirty at Mass is a great deal better than none.

"Fear not, little flock" - Nolite timere pusillus grex (St Luke xii, 32) – and the Lord continues, quia complacuit Patri vestro dare vobis regnum, "for it hath pleased your Father to give to you the kingdom".  Nolite timere pusillus grex: wouldn't that be a nice motto for our next bishop?!

To-day, if not the 16th Sunday after Pentecost, would have been the feast of the Holy Guardian Angels: may they guard us from harm, and guide us to the Kingdom.

No comments: