Saturday, January 12, 2013

Prime Augmented - in English

For any who prefer a sacral vernacular, here is a collection of prayers for the morning extracted from the Breviary, which I term an augmented version of Prime, intended for use as an invariant daily devotion for such as would prefer to use liturgical forms, but have not the time for the full morning Hours of the Office; the Latin is in the preceding post (and in both I have made one minor adjustment, restoring the two versicles from Psalm 118 customarily used in the Dominican preces at Prime):

******

A PRIVATE EDITION OF PRIME
[Combining elements of Matins, Lauds and Prime]

V/. O Lord, thou wilt open my lips.
R/. And my mouth shall declare thy praise. (Ps 50:17)
V/. O God, come to my assistance.
R/. O Lord, make haste to help me. (Ps 69:2)
Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost.
As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
Alleluia. (Septuagesimatide & Lent: Praise to thee, O Lord, King of eternal glory.)

Psalm 94.
[Invitatory, if desired]
Come let us praise the Lord with joy: let us joyfully sing to God our saviour. Let us come before his presence with thanksgiving; and make a joyful noise to him with psalms.
[Invitatory, if desired]
For the Lord is a great God, and a great King above all gods. For in his hand are all the ends of the earth: and the heights of the mountains are his.
[Invitatory, if desired]
For the sea is his, and he made it: and his hands formed the dry land. Come let us adore and fall down: and weep before the Lord that made us. For he is the Lord our God: and we are the people of his pasture and the sheep of his hand.
[Invitatory, if desired]
Today if you shall hear his voice, harden not your hearts: as in the provocation, according to the day of temptation in the wilderness: where your fathers tempted me, they proved me, and saw my works.
[Invitatory, if desired]
Forty years long was I offended with that generation, and I said: These always err in heart. And these men have not known my ways: so I swore in my wrath that they shall not enter into my rest.
[Invitatory, if desired]
Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost. As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
[Invitatory, if desired]

Hymn.
Now that the daylight fills the sky,
We lift our hearts to God on high,
That he, in all we do or say,
Would keep us free from harm today:

Would guard our hearts and tongues from strife;
From anger’s din would hide our life;
From all ill sights would turn our eyes;
Would close our ears from vanities:

Would keep our inmost conscience pure;
Our souls from folly would secure;
Would bid us check the pride of sense
With due and holy abstinence.

So we, when this new day is gone,
And night in turn is drawing on,
With conscience by the world unstained
Shall praise his name for vict’ry gained.

All laud to God the Father be;
All praise, eternal Son, to thee;
All glory, as is ever meet,
To God the holy Paraclete. Amen.

Ant. O God, my God, to thee do I watch at break of day: because thou hast been my helper. (Ps 62:2a,8a)

Psalm 18.
The heavens shew forth the glory of God, * and the firmament declareth the work of his hands.
Day to day uttereth speech, * and night to night sheweth knowledge.
There are no speeches nor languages, * where their voices are not heard.
Their sound hath gone forth into all the earth: * and their words unto the ends of the world.
He hath set his tabernacle in the sun: * and he, as a bridegroom coming out of his bride chamber,
Hath rejoiced as a giant to run the way: * His going out is from the end of heaven,
And his circuit even to the end thereof: * and there is no one that can hide himself from his heat.
The law of the Lord is unspotted, converting souls: * the testimony of the Lord is faithful, giving wisdom to little ones.
The justices of the Lord are right, rejoicing hearts: * the commandment of the Lord is lightsome, enlightening the eyes.
The fear of the Lord is holy, enduring for ever and ever: * the judgments of the Lord are true, justified in themselves.
More to be desired than gold and many precious stones: * and sweeter than honey and the honeycomb.
For thy servant keepeth them, * and in keeping them there is a great reward.
Who can understand sins? from my secret ones cleanse me, O Lord: * and from those of others spare thy servant.
If they shall have no dominion over me, then shall I be without spot: * and I shall be cleansed from the greatest sin.
And the words of my mouth shall be such as may please: * and the meditation of my heart always in thy sight.
O Lord, my helper, * and my redeemer.
Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, * and to the Holy Ghost.
As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, * world without end. Amen.

Psalm 62.
O God, my God, * to thee do I watch at break of day.
For thee my soul hath thirsted; * for thee my flesh, O how many ways!
In a desert land, and where there is no way, and no water: * so in the sanctuary have I come before thee, to see thy power and thy glory.
For thy mercy is better than lives: * thee my lips shall praise.
Thus will I bless thee all my life long: * and in thy name I will lift up my hands.
Let my soul be filled as with marrow and fatness: * and my mouth shall praise thee with joyful lips.
If I have remembered thee upon my bed, I will meditate on thee in the morning: * because thou hast been my helper.
And I will rejoice under the covert of thy wings: my soul hath stuck close to thee: * thy right hand hath received me.
But they have sought my soul in vain, they shall go into the lower parts of the earth: * they shall be delivered into the hands of the sword, they shall be the portions of foxes.
But the king shall rejoice in God, all they shall be praised that swear by him: * because the mouth is stopped of them that speak wicked things.
Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, * and to the Holy Ghost.
As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, * world without end. Amen.

Psalm 116.
O praise the Lord, all ye nations: * praise him, all ye people.
For his mercy is confirmed upon us: * and the truth of the Lord remaineth for ever.
Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, * and to the Holy Ghost.
As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, * world without end. Amen.

Ant. O God, my God, to thee do I watch at break of day: because thou hast been my helper. (Ps 62:2a,8a)

Little Chapter. (Rom 13:12-13a)
The night is passed, and the day is at hand. Let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and put on the armour of light. Let us walk honestly, as in the day. R/. Thanks be to God.

Short Responsory
R/. Jesu Christ, Son of the living God, * Have mercy on us. (Cf. Mt 16:16b; Jn 11:27)
R/. Jesu Christ, Son of the living God, * Have mercy on us.
V/. Who sittest at the right of the Father. * Have mercy on us. (Cf. Rom 8:34b; Heb 1:3b)
Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, * and to the Holy Ghost.
R/. Jesu Christ, Son of the living God, * Have mercy on us.

V/. Arise, O Lord, help us.
R/. And free us for thy name's sake. (Ps 43:26)

Ant. O Orient, brightness of eternal light, and sun of justice: come and enlighten those sitting in darkness and the shadow of death. (Cf. Lk 1:78b,79a; Zach 6:12; Hab 3:4; Wis 7:26a; Mal 3:20a)

Canticle of Zachary. (Lk 1:68-79)
Blessed be the Lord God of Israel; * because he hath visited and wrought the redemption of his people:
And hath raised up an horn of salvation to us, * in the house of David his servant:
As he spoke by the mouth of the holy ones, * who are from the beginning, his prophets:
Salvation from our enemies, * and from the hand of all that hate us:
To perform mercy to our fathers, * and to remember his holy testament,
The oath, which he swore to Abraham our father, * that he would grant to us,
That without fear, being delivered from the hand of our enemies, * we may serve him,
In holiness and justice before him, * all our days.
And thou, child, shalt be called the prophet of the Highest: * for thou shalt go before the face of the Lord to prepare his ways:
To give knowledge of salvation to his people, * unto the remission of their sins:
Through the bowels of the mercy of our God, * in which the Orient from on high hath visited us:
To enlighten them that sit in darkness, and in the shadow of death: * to direct our feet into the way of peace.
Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, * and to the Holy Ghost.
As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, * world without end. Amen.

Ant. O Orient, brightness of eternal light, and sun of justice: come and enlighten those sitting in darkness and the shadow of death. (Cf. Lk 1:78b,79a; Zach 6:12; Hab 3:4; Wis 7:26a; Mal 3:20a)

Prayers.

Lord, have mercy. Christ, have mercy. Lord, have mercy.

Our Father (secretly) who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.
V/. And lead us not into temptation.
R/. But deliver us from evil.

V/. My soul shall live and shall praise thee.
R/. And thy judgments shall help me. (Ps 118:175)
V/. I have gone astray like a sheep that is lost.
R/. Seek thy servant, Lord, because I have not forgotten thy commandments. (Ps 118:176)

I believe in God (secretly), the Father almighty, Creator of heaven and earth. And in Jesus Christ his only Son our Lord: who was conceived by the Holy Ghost, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, dead, and buried: he descended into hell: the third day he rose again from the dead: he ascended into heaven, and sitteth on the right of God the Father almighty: from thence he shall come to judge the quick and the dead. I believe in the Holy Ghost, the holy Catholic Church, the communion of Saints, the forgiveness of sins,
V/. The resurrection of the body.
R/. And the life everlasting. Amen.

V/. Our help is in the name of the Lord.
R/. Who made heaven and earth. (Ps 123:8)

I confess to almighty God, to blessed Mary ever virgin, and to blessed Dominic our father, and to all the saints, that I have sinned exceedingly by thought, word, deed, and omission, through my fault. I beseech blessed Mary ever virgin, and blessed Dominic our father, and all the saints, to pray for me.

May almighty God have mercy on me, and forgive me all my sins, free me from all evil, save, and strengthen me in every good work, and bring me to everlasting life. R/. Amen.

May the almighty and merciful Lord grant to me joy with peace, amendment of life, room for true repentance, the grace and consolation of the Holy Ghost, and perseverance in good works. R/. Amen.

V/. O Lord, hear my prayer.
R/. And let my cry come to thee. (Ps 101:2)

Let us pray.

Collect. Lord God almighty, who hast caused us to attain to the beginning of this day: save us today by thy power: that in this day we may not decline into any sin, but always toward accomplishing thy justice may our words proceed, and thoughts and works be directed. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, thy Son, who with thee liveth and reigneth in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R/. Amen.

V/. O Lord, hear my prayer.
R/. And let my cry come to thee. (Ps 101:2)
V/. Let us bless the Lord.
R/. Thanks be to God.

V/. Precious in the sight of the Lord.
R/. Is the death of his saints. (Ps 115:6)

May Holy Mary and all the Saints intercede for us with the Lord: that we may deserve to be helped by him, who liveth and reigneth world without end. R/. Amen.

V/. Look upon thy servants and upon their works: and direct their children. (Ps 89:16)
R/. And let the brightness of the Lord our God be upon us: and direct thou the works of our hands over us; yea, the work of our hands do thou direct. (Ps 89:17)

Collect. Deign to direct and hallow, Lord, holy Father, almighty eternal God, today our hearts and bodies in thy law and in the works of thy commandments: that here and for ever, by thine assistance, we may deserve ever to be saved. Through Christ our Lord. R/. Amen.

V/. Prithee, Lord, bless.
Blessing. The Lord almighty dispose our days and deeds in his peace. R/. Amen.

Short Lesson. (Is 33:2; cf. Ps 40:11a)
O Lord, have mercy on us: for we have waited for thee: be thou our arm in the morning, and our salvation in the time of trouble. — But thou, O Lord, have mercy on us. R/. Thanks be to God.

V/. Shew us, O Lord, thy mercy.
R/. And grant us thy salvation. (Ps 84:8)

Collect. Our actions, we beg thee, O Lord, to precede by thine inspiration, and to further by thine assistance; that every work of ours begin ever from thee, and those begun, by thee be ended. Through Christ our Lord. R/. Amen.

Blessing. The Lord bless us, and from every evil defend us, and to life eternal lead us. And may the souls of the faithful, through the mercy of God, rest in peace. R/. Amen.

If desired, the De profundis with the usual prayers for the faithful departed may follow the final blessing; and likewise a Marian anthem may be added.

No comments: